Limb Lengthening surgery by PRECICE Methodology
Intramedullary Nailing System
Precice 2 by the Nuvasive USA, offers a revolution in Limb Lengthening surgery; for almost all the history of limb lengthening surgeries; doctors were reliant on an external fixator for the distraction of bone elongation phase. However, with the Precice 2 , that need was eliminated; as it offered an automatic nail which could be elongated with a touch of the remote control; rather than having hefty fixators attached to the patient’s legs, causing much discomfort and always carrying a risk of infections
The Precice Methodology offers the most comfortable and safe leg-lengthening surgical experience available for patients worldwide. The Precice 2 nail achieves this amazing feat of accomplishment because the Precice intramedullary nail is composed of titanium, and electromagnetically motorized. Thus, by a touch of a button on the magnetic remote control, from the outside of the patient’s legs; the nail moves inside, elongating the bone in a very calculated manner; thus allowing for the best limb lengthening experience.
The surgeons, surgically embedded the Precice 2.2 nail into the bone cavity of the patient’s long bone, either the femurs or the tibias. This is done via small incisions on the legs, from where the bone is surgically separated and the Precice nails are embedded. Once the Precice nails take its position the surgical incisions are stitched and closed; thus minimizing any risk of infections. Soon after, the lengthening process is realized with the help of an electromagnetic remote control device; hence there is no device or fixator, visible on the patient’s body.
Here is a brief step by step summary of the whole limb lengthening procedure with Precice 2.2:
-Lengthening begins after 4-5 days since the operation
-Lengthening takes 2-3 months (usually 1 mm / day. For example, 6 cm takes 2 months, and 7 cm takes 70 days) depending on the lengthened amount
-Patients have to use a wheelchair during lengthening, as the Precice 2.2 intramedullary nails cannot bear the patient’s weight and the mechanisms can become damaged if weight is borne on them.
-After lengthening is finished and the doctor can confirm some bone healing or consolidation, patients can begin walking again; at around 3-4 months after the surgery. At first, a supporting device such as a walker or crutches is needed. In approximately 1-1.5 months, with patients’ efforts in physiotherapy and daily individual exercises, it can be possible to walk without support.
– Approximately 1-1.5 yrs. from the time of surgery, the internal nails can be removed; or they can also be removed at a later time or left inside the bones based on the patient’s request. Precice nails are biomechanically engineered, thus, they can remain inside the leg without causing discomfort. Plus, they do not beep at security checks or metal detectors.
It is important for potential patients to know that there are only a handful of doctors, worldwide, who can perform surgeries with Precice systems. The reason for that is because all surgeons need to participate in an intensive training program at the ” Center of Excellence “. Thus, the WannaBeTaller team only works with the best doctors in Turkey; who have years of training and experience with internal limb lengthening methods and can provide the best satisfaction to our patients.
How many scars can appear after surgery?
Limb lengthening surgery by PRECICE Methodology has been proven to be the most advantageous method in terms of post-op scarring, as the scars are minimal and even invisible on most skin types. Generally, there are 3 minor scars on each leg, right and left; however, these small surgical scars could easily be removed with a minor plastic surgery treatment, as well.
What is the post-surgery Recovery plan with Precice 2?
1. 1 week of post-surgery hospitalization +
2. 60-80 days of lengthening or bone extension for 6 cm to 8 cms +
3. 5-6 months of bone healing or consolidation
Total Recovery: 8-9 months
Please Note that Precice 2 is an internal method, and the Precice 2 intramedullary nails cannot bear the weight of the patient hence the patients are wheelchair-bound for the entire lengthening phase. But, once lengthening is complete and there is ample bone healing, the patients can start to walk.
How much does it cost?
At the moment, the cost for a single bilateral ( Both Legs ) surgery, either on the “Femoral” or “Tibial” bones for Limb Lengthening surgery by PRECICE Methodology is currently priced at around:
38,000 (€)36,263 Euros. (Please note that the listed discounted prices are valid till the end of the global COVID-19 pandemic unless otherwise mentioned)
Please note: For a double Limb Lengthening surgery by PRECICE Methodology; first on the femoral bones and later on the tibia bones or vice versa ( with a 6 months consolidation period between both the surgeries ); the price will be calculated as two separate surgeries. THUS; (€) 36,263 Euros multiplied by 2 surgeries: (€) 72,526 Euros.
Single leg lengthening surgery cost, either Femur or Tibia; with Precice 2 Method is (€) 19,000
Furthermore, for a completely healthy and smooth Limb Lengthening surgery by PRECICE Methodology; experience, we provide the following facilities, which are included in the total price:
- Meeting and greeting our patients at the airports, including transportation to the hotel & hospitals
- Accommodation in a 5-star hotel (1 day)
- An English-speaking caretaker who will assist our patients 24/7 during the hospital stay
- Complimentary Istanbul tour, including historical and touristic visits, boat tour and meals in our famous Turkish restaurants
- All necessary medical examinations and tests before the surgical operation
- 5 days of hospitalization
- Physiotherapist’s assistance and all medications are covered, during the patient’s hospitalization
- Walker, crutches & wheelchair
- Transportation to the airport upon departure
- FREE consultation with doctors and consultants whenever the patient’s needs, even after lengthening process has been completed
- Internal nail removal costs 750 euro and is NOT included in the surgery cost
The price also includes the following expenses related to the surgery:
- All hospital charges associated with the operating room and recovery room.
- Surgeon’s fees.
- Anesthesiologist’s fees.
- Surgical assistant’s fees.
- Hospitalization fees (Internal medicine doctors will be available during the entire hospitalization period).
Get a free voucher up to 1000 euros on Physiotherapy!
* If you will stay in Istanbul during the distraction phase after the surgery you can get free physiotherapy service once every two
days during 2 months
* If you will leave Turkey after the surgery you can get a voucher up to 1000 euros for physiotherapy in your home country.
Also, you can contact our patient consultants, at your convenience, for a detailed discussion regarding the procedures and any information that you may require with the procedures, medical teams, prices, and any available discounts.
How many centimeters can I gain with Leg Lengthening (LL)?
According to limb lengthening surgical guidelines and medical recommendations, lengthening varies from 6 to 8 cm for a single surgical procedure and it is not preferable to lengthen over 6 to 8 cm per bone section, as it may cause muscular torsion and nerve damage as well.
However, if the patient wishes to grow even taller (for example, 12 to 15 cm) it can be achieved by lengthening both lower and upper legs (lengthening in both the Femur and Tibia bones). Thus, if a patient desires to lengthen their legs by around 12 to 15 cm, it is preferable to do 6 to 7 cm lengthening on “Tibia” bone and after complete or mid recovery; around 4 to 5 months’ time; another surgical procedure on the “Femur” bones, for additional height gains of 6 to 8 cm, can be done.
It is preferable for aesthetic proportions and muscular and nerve health, to lengthen each bone segment independently rather than to lengthen 10 cm on a singular bone section in one surgical session. Lastly, the most important aspect to keep in mind is that the flexibility of your legs is a very important factor, as it will ultimately determine how much longer you can grow.
When can I get back to my Pre-Surgery Health?
Limb lengthening surgeries, including the intramedullary nail method, may take some time, but eventually, you can get back your pre-surgery health and do any sports or exercises that you were able to perform before the surgery. The overall recovery time is dependent on the method of surgery selected by our patients. To facilitate speedy and complete recovery, the patients must regularly perform physiotherapy and other prescribed exercises, as it would help in easing the muscles and nerves and help them grow longer with the bone.
So the recovery process would look something like this;
- 1 Week Hospitalization – General Post-surgical recovery and the start of bone lengthening
- 70 to 90 days mark – Daily lengthening for 60 – 80 Days – Patient is wheelchair-bound for movement
- 90 to 270 Days mark – Bone healing and during the 90 to 120 days mark the bones consolidate enough to become weight-bearing, hence the patient can start to walk unaided.
- 270 day to 365 days mark – The patients can come in back to Turkey for internal Precice nail removal surgery
- 365 days to 540 days mark – After a few weeks of the internal Precice nail removal surgery; the patients can return back to daily life, as before, indulging in all sports and exercise activities as before, with new height.
So you will be back to your old self in 12 to 18 months, with your new-found height.
Can I see some images of your patients?
The PRECICE® System:
Diaries of some of our “PRECICE” patients:
Have a look: PRECICE STRYDE