Ilizarov method was the first successfully explored methodology for bone lengthening, whereby the bone is fixed with thin wires and circular external fixator devices.
This device was first applied in 1950s by Soviet surgeon Gavriil Ilizarov for treatment of bone non-unions and later for other medical reasons. During the treatment of one of his patients, he accidentally discovered the principle of distraction osteogenesis, which means allowing new bone tissue to generate and fill the gap caused by distraction of the bone. Ilizarov technique and the device developed by himself later became the first method to be used for cosmetic limb lengthening purposes as well.
As it is the case with all other limb lengthening surgery methods, in Ilizarov limb lengthening surgery, firstly the bone is cut (osteotomy is performed) using medical tools. Ilizarov circular frames are placed over the leg and attached to the bone by means of thin wires. These wires and the device itself holds the bone in place and prevents rotation and misalignment.
Usually, patients tend to start walking, with some kind of support, usually a walker or crutches, from the next day of the Limb Lengthening surgery by Ilizarov Methodology and physiological rehabilitation is recommended thereafter, etc. The primary goal, after the surgery, is to prevent any muscle rigidity and to maintain the muscle tone within normal parameters.
Patients are strongly advised to visit the clinics for their health assessment, every 2 to 3 weeks. During this medical assessment, the condition of the patient’s skin, the installed devices, the wires, and the screws are evaluated. Furthermore, the patient’s bone integrity and fracture conditions are thoroughly checked and they are re-informed.
Usually, where a bone deformity correction surgery is performed, the bones are expected to heal and mature within 3 to 4 months period, soon after, the lengthening devices are removed. Once, the lengthening process stops, bone consolidation period begins, which generally lasts between 45 days, for each lengthened centimeter; eg where the bone is scheduled to be elongated by 6 to 7 cm, the total recovery period may last between 10 to 12 months. However, this is a general estimation, which is dependent upon various factors, including but not limited to, patients’ medical history, age, overall bone health, integrity, and quality. As per the medical team assessment, once the devices are removed, the use of plaster or other plastic devices may be recommended for a period of 30 to 60 days, for the bones to fully strengthen.
Essential Key Facts
Although Ilizarov’s surgical methodology may be very straightforward and simple, the result may sometimes be quite frustrating. With a Limb Lengthening surgery by Ilizarov Methodology, complications may arise, leading to gloomy outcomes, both for the patients and the medical teams involved.
Thus, it is highly recommended that such surgical procedures have been performed by the competent orthopedic teams, where the recommended medical centers, where such methodologies are commonly and successfully performed. The patients must be provided with accurate information. Furthermore, if the medical team recommends another lengthen methodology for patients, due to their physiology, then this method should not be opted for.
It is strongly advised that the patients perform their wires & screw; From the very beginning and the medical practitioner’s guidance. It is highly recommended that the patient care and sterilize the device, its wires, and screws daily; with 70% Pure Alcohol or a 10% Betadine solution, with sterile gauze. If the patient notices any indication of an infection, such as redness, swelling and/or wound growth, they should immediately contact their doctor, who performed the surgery and visit them as soon as possible.
It must be noted that smoking should be avoided as it would retard the formation and maturation of the new bone; and those patients who cannot quit smoking during this recovery period. Besides, patients should display a general knowledge of their general health.
For a completely healthy and smooth Limb Lengthening surgery by Ilizarov Methodology and overall experience, we provide the following facilities, which are included in the total price:
- Meeting and greeting our patients at the airports, including all transportation to the hotels & hospitals
- Accommodation in a 5-star hotel (1 to 3 days)
- An English-speaking caretaker who will assist our patients 24/7
- Complimentary Istanbul tour, including historical and touristic visits, boat tours and meals in our famous Turkish restaurants
- All necessary medical examinations and tests before the surgical operation
- 5 to 7 days of hospitalization
- Physiotherapist’s assistance and all medications are covered, during the patient’s hospitalization
- Walker, crutches & wheelchair for assisted movement (Post-Op)
- Transportation to the airport upon departure
- FREE consultation with doctors and consultants
- Circulation-enhancing, relaxing massage with a certified traditional Chinese medicine practitioner 1 day per week
- 24/7 business center use for those who continue their work remotely
The above-mentioned price also includes the following costs, in addition to the surgery itself
- All hospital charges associated with the operating room and recovery room.
- Surgeon’s fees.
- Anesthesiologist’s fees.
- Surgical assistant’s fees.
- Hospitalization fees (Internal medicine doctors will be available during the entire hospitalization period).
* If you will stay in Istanbul during distraction phase after the surgery you can get free physiotherapy service once every two
days during 2 months
* If you will leave Turkey after the surgery you can get a voucher up to 1000 euros for physiotherapy in your home country.
Furthermore, you can contact our patient consultants, at your convenience, for a detailed discussion regarding the procedures and any information that you may require in relation to the procedures, medical teams, prices and any available discounts.