Limb Lengthening Surgery by Holyfix Methodology
The ‘Holyfix’ method is a monolateral rod type method that has been used in success since 1997. It is an improved version of Wagner and De Bastiani’s methodology.
In other words, monolateral external fixators are attached by pins to the patient’s legs. The nails are attached to the nearest and safest area, especially not near any vein and nerve. The chances of open wound infection is very small.
Holyfix apparatus is made of a special, aluminum and titanium alloy, thus lighter in weight and is MRI and radiology compatible. Hence, making this biomechanical system extremely stable and safe; allowing the patient to walk during the treatment phase. This device makes the distraction (bone lengthening) process very practical and easy, allowing the patient to perform extensions on their own. In addition, Holyfix apparatus has such a superior design that it allows for accelerated bone formation and transfers the burden from the bone without any shortening (Dynamization).
The Extension process consists of six phases:
- Inspection and Medical Examinations
- Lengthening Period
- Bone Strengthening (Consolidation)
- Removal of the System
1. Inspection and Medical Examinations: Once the patient is admitted to our clinic. Radiological examinations, measurements, and other necessary examinations are carried out. The patients are informed about everything, related to the lengthening process in detail. These inspections and examinations are planned and carried out.
2. Surgery: At least one day before the operation. The operation is performed under either general anesthesia or spinal anesthesia. The anesthesiologist and the patient have to decide this aspect together.
Our surgeries are performed with the help of tourniquet, hence bloodless; chances of bleeding are very rare. Thus, there is, generally, no need for any blood transfusions.
ARM OR LEG EXTENSIONS:
If the length of bone is extended to 5 cm, one level, it is extended over 5 cm, two-level cuts are surgically made. Two or three nails are applied to both sides of the area. This is mainly dependent on the body weight (BMI) of the patient. Henceforth, a suitable “ HolyFix ” fixator is prepared and applied.
During the surgery, an incision is made on the skin section about 3 to 4 cm. Single-zone single arm-leg lengthening surgery takes an average of 40 minutes; arm-leg lengthening takes about 60 minutes.
Height lengthening is a process where both legs are extended. Whereby, both the legs are lengthened at the same time, thus the patient’s height is increased, simultaneously. Limb Lengthening Surgery by Holyfix Methodology, generally, take about 90 minutes for a single level (up to 5 cm), 2-2.5 hours for a double level (up to 10 cm).
3. HOSPITALIZATION: The hospitalization is in a single room to accommodate one person.
if the patient’s arm or leg is lengthened, they would have to reside at the hospital for 2 to 3 days; In case, of stature or both leg lengthening is achieved, their stays would last between 4 to 7 days. During this period, the patients are informed about the treatment and the lengthening process, in total. Walking with crutches and nail care and maintenance is thoroughly taught. Physiotherapy training is taught and practiced.
4. Lengthening Period: Normally, this process of lengthening starts at the hospital. The lengthening is a total of 1 mm per day in four equal parts (4 × 0.25 mm) at each lengthening level.
The patient is discharged after this time and may return to their homes. However, patients who would like to reside in our care more often stay close to our clinic. During this time, the patient can function with the help of crutches. Throughout this journey of the patient, our physiotherapy team is with them; helping with exercises and teaches them stretching, muscle, and joint movements during this lengthening period. The patient should perform these exercises during the entire course of the treatment. The patients are also taught nail care and maintenance. From the second week of the surgery; (except in special and rare cases), the patient can bath during the treatment. Clinical and radiological examinations are performed every 15 to 30 days, periods.
5. Bone Strengthening (Consolidation): After the lengthening process is completed, the elongated bone area is strengthened and consolidated at becoming load bearing.
Full Recovery of the bone after Limb Lengthening Surgery by Holyfix Methodology:
The recovery period is approximately one month for each approximate centimeter. Whereby, regular medical examinations, are necessary, after every 20 to 30 days period. Patients living outside the city can easily perform regular checks by sending their X-rays and, if necessary, photographs.
6. Removal System: After the lengthening and consolidation periods are completed, the system is removed; easily and painlessly under local anesthesia or general anesthesia at our hospital. Our medical professionals make sure that no other materials are left in the patient’s body. Long walks, heavy exercises and sports are generally prohibited, until the time that the bones have fully recovered to normality, after the removal of the devices. However, ample swimming is a recommended exercise. Generally, most physical activities are allowed, as long as the bones are of the same quality and integrity to the other bones, of the patient.
Packages and Total Costs (2021):
At the moment, the cost for a single ( Both Legs ) surgery, either on the “femoral” or “Tibial” bones for leg lengthening, with the ” HOLYFIX ” Methodology is currently priced at around
16,000 14,500 Euros. (Please note that the listed discounted prices are valid till the end of the global COVID-19 pandemic unless otherwise mentioned.).
Please note: For a double surgery, first on the femoral bones and later on the tibia bones or vice versa ( with a 6 months consolidation period between both the surgeries ); the price will be calculated as two separate surgeries. THUS; (€) 14,500 Euros multiplied by 2 surgeries: (€) 29,000 Euros.
Limb Length Discrepancy Correction Surgery (Non-Cosmetic) Singular bone, either Femur or Tibia; with Holyfix Method is (€) 8,500
Furthermore, for a completely healthy and smooth limb lengthening experience, we provide the following facilities, which are included in the total price:
- Meeting and greeting our patients at the airports, including transportation to the hotel & hospital
- Accommodation in a 5-star hotel (1 day)
- An English-speaking caretaker who will assist our patients 24/7 during hospital stay
- Complimentary Istanbul tour, including historical and touristic visits, boat tour, and meals in our famous Turkish restaurants
- All necessary medical examinations and tests before the surgical operation
- 5 days of hospitalization
- Physiotherapist’s assistance and all medications are covered, during the patient’s hospitalization
- Walker, crutches & wheelchair for support & assisted movement (Post-Op)
- Transportation to the airport upon departure
- FREE consultation with doctors and consultants.
- Device removal costs 750 eur and is NOT included in the total surgery cost.
- Circulation-enhancing, relaxing massage with a certified traditional Chinese medicine practitioner 1 day per week
- 24/7 business center use for those who continue their work remotely
The above-mentioned price also includes the following costs, in addition to the surgery itself.
- All hospital charges associated with the operating room and recovery room.
- Surgeon’s fees.
- Anesthesiologist’s fees.
- Surgical assistant’s fees.
- Hospitalization fees (Internal medicine doctors will be available during the entire hospitalization period).
* If you will stay in Istanbul during the distraction phase after the surgery you can get free physiotherapy service once every two
days during 2 months
* If you will leave Turkey after the surgery you can get a voucher up to 1000 euros for physiotherapy in your home country.
Furthermore, you can contact our patient consultants, at your convenience, for a detailed discussion
Patients are expected to return to their normal walks after a height increasing surgery, as seen in the following video.